Tuesday, September 4, 2007

NFC Primer

NFC

West
  • San Francisco 49ers - Looks like a good, young team. I'll be interested in seeing if Frank Gore really is the real deal and last year wasn't a fluke. Veron aka "Click-Clack" Davis could have a breakout year this season. By the way, that Under Armour stuff is good. Buy some stock if you have extra cash laying around. The future looks bright for the company in my view. I'm hoping the Niners finish over 0.500 this year. Bring back the glory years.
  • Arizona Cardinals - I'm just hoping for another Denni Green outburst like last year. If you need to be reminded it was something along the lines of (paraphrased): "They are who we thought they were! And we let them off the hook!" The offense looks really promising...just like it did last year. I hope Edge has a better than average year.
  • St. Louis Rams - What happened to the "Greatest Show on Turf"? This team is getting older by the minute. Will Stephen Jackson perform to the levels that fantasy owners hope? I'd say probably. He's really got a unique blend of size and speed.
  • Seattle Seahawks - I'm pretty sure I drafted Shaun Alexander with the 8th pick in one of my fantasy leagues. I definitely hope he'll perform better than what people are predicting for him this year. LOFA TATUPU. What about him? Nothing. I just wanted to get his name out here on this post.


East
  • Dallas Cowboys - New coach in town. I think Charles Barkley commented that Tony Romo had better focus his attention on the upcoming season and not judging Miss America pagents or his girlfriend. I think T.O. this year needs to focus on YAC. I feel like he had a decent season last year TD and catch - wise but rarely cracked the 100+ yards receiving per game.
  • New York Giants - Eli, Eli, Eli. Didn't you have the chance to go play for the San Diego Chargers? Do you think Eli ever feels like Peyton took all the talent from his parents? I'd like to see Brandon Jacobs run over more than a few people this year.
  • Philadelphia Eagles - McNabb is back and according to Tony Kornheiser he's "shaven" and not bald. He seemed pretty upbeat during a PTI interview a few weeks ago. Remember back a season or two ago...I think it was a Monday night game versus the Cowboys right before halftime when he held the ball for a good 30-60 seconds, dodged defenders left and right then completed a 60 yeard pass? I think Brian Westbrook is overrated.
  • Washington Redskins - The team I love to hate. Mosty because of the fans. Redskins fans are some of the most optimistic fans I know. "We look good this year". "This is our year". Please. Oh remember Gus Frerotte? Is he still in the league? I'm just remembering the time when he gave himself a concussion hitting his head against a cement wall. This is a 0.500 team at best.


North
  • Chicago Bears - Did Devin Hester really get a 100 speed rating in this year's Madden? I heard that a while back but haven't gotten any confirmation. I've read that the team is/might be moving him to the WR spot. We'll see if Rex Grossman can get him the ball. Is it true that Brian Urlacher was forced to take parenting classes? This should be a requirement for more than a few other people out there.
  • Detroit Lions - I think the Lions should replace every position on offense with a WR. Yeah that's right. Just like flag football. Just have the entire offense except the QB be a wide receiver.
  • Green Bay Packers - Another season, another year for QB Brett Favre. I always wondered about the pronunciation of his last name. FAVRE. But you say it like FARV. John Madden once said that if he could start his team with any player living or dead his first pick would be Brett. I don't know which is greater: Dick Vitale's love for Duke basketball or John Madden's love for Favre. Have you seen Frank Caliendo's John Madden impression? Not too shabby.
  • Minnesota Vikings - I'm intrested in seeing Tavaris Jackson play. He and Peterson could be a nice one-two punch. Other than that this team is pretty average. Not much more to say.


South
  • Atlanta Falcons - Let's see if I can go the entire way here without mentioning Michael Vick. Ooops. Too late. The Falcons will be awful this year. Do the Falcons play at Cleveland at all this year? Yeah, the DOG POUND.
  • Carolina Panthers - I don't really know what to say about the Panthers. They will probably be a little better than 0.500. Steve Smith is fast.
  • New Orleans Saints - I predict that Colston will have an average year this year. No more surpises. Reggie Bush should be allowed to touch the ball as much as possible this year. Might be looking at the Conference champion here.
  • Tampa Bay Buccaneers - New team for Jeff Garcia. Prediction: different results than last year with the Eagles. Not an earth-shattering prediciton. Bring back GRADKOWSKI. I'd like to see Cadillac improve his performance this year.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't believe you think Westbrook is overrated. I actually think he's underrated. Redskins are not .500 at best, they are playoff-caliber in a weak conference. Brandon Jacobs sucks. Giants suck. Cowboys overrated, as always. Don't forget the Vikings still have Chester Taylor - that's the one-two punch, not Tavaris Jackson. Don't be surprised if the Falcons are better than you think: it's not like Vick was that good of a passer. They've always had a solid running game. I'm thinking 6-7 wins, which is better than awful. And I don't think Colston will have an average year. I think he'll get even better in a potent offense. PS Dennis Green is out at Arizona. My NFC playoff picks: Winners: Eagles (10-6), Saints (11-5), Bears (11-5), Seahawks (9-7); WC: Skins (9-7), Rams (8-8)

aL said...

hey thanks for the dennis green update. I forgot he's gone.

aL said...

I also forgot to mention Lance Briggs. Whatever happened to him/the incident? Was there any punishment?

And its FAV-RAH.

Unknown said...

interesting preview column:
http://www.slate.com/id/2173233/entry/2173269/